Thread: Composting
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2016   #18
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

I have to contend with bears in my area so conventional composting is out. I use a modified Bokashi system as follows:
1. Collect scraps in a ventilated bucket in the kitchen. Every 2" or so sprinkle in a handful of Bokashi microbial activator.
2. When the kitchen bucket is full transfer contents to a larger (approximately 2 gallon bucket) in the garage with a tight seal (an anaerobic environment is key to Bokashi composting). When that bucket is full, seal it up for 2 weeks
3. At this point the "pickled" compost is layered with soil either in garden beds or trenches or in plastic totes or in flower pots. After 2 weeks you can plant directly into the top layer.

In addition to the fact that the bears do not like it (although they occasionally dump a tote and then walk away), there is no turning and you can compost meat spraps, bones and dairy, all of which are no-nos in conventional composting.

I garden almost exclusively in raised beds and buy topsoil in 1 back-friendly 1-cubic foot bags to use for layering my Bokashi and building up the boxes. In late falland winter the finished bokashi goes directly into any idle beds. In the growing season I fill large plastic totes to avoid disturbing my plants.