View Single Post
Old January 5, 2020   #20
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Hey Mark, which fertilizer, and application regiment do you use?
We use 4-18-38. You have to use Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulfate too. For starts we are about at 1200 PPM for the mix. It's three parts. (Now they do have hobby blends that are two parts). Use it every time you water.

We sell plants starts and do produce for farmers markets, so we have economic thresholds that must be addressed. Presentation of plant starts quality, and production of fruit is what we do.

We have a huge support network, we do not make this stuff up. Now there are other fertilizers that work just as good, maybe even better. We send leaf samples to labs, they send us back element numbers on bar charts that read from poor to optimum.

It is science. What we do is pass along info from the labs, that is all. Figuring out this stuff is way beyond me, but I am a good listener.

When your root zone is cold your plants turn purple. This is an issue with the uptake of P because of the cold. Ratios are also affected. Now we can quickly turn this around, obviously, but why do this to begin with? I firmly believe, if your starts are spot on out of the gate they will take off faster, and that all adds up to vigor, health, disease resistance, etc, etc. As you can see I set starts on tables to keep them warmer. These are just various stages that will go up retail at some point.

On a real good note, chilling your starts is not going to result in poor plants. We are always just looking at the best methods, the rest have no value to me.

Right on, Happy New Year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1787.jpg (260.6 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by AKmark; January 5, 2020 at 04:05 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote