View Single Post
Old January 5, 2008   #21
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I, too, love cabbage. I just brought all mine in because we finally had a frost. I grow Savoy cabbages but you can do this with any cabbage, I think.

I put cabbage in vegetable soup all the time. Shred it up and toss it in with potatoes, zucchini, onions, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, etc. Add some leftover chicken or steak if you have it.

I love to cook a few slices of bacon and cook the cabbage in some of the drippings, so it's still a wee bit crunchy and then top it with the crumbled bacon.

I also like to cut it into very thin wedges and steam it. Then I just drizzle a tiny bit of clarified butter over the top. Salt and lots of pepper.

I've heard of a lot of cabbage casserole type dishes but I've never made any of them. You might want to Google some and give it a try. I like a lot of things from www.myrecipes.com and those recipes are all from Oxmoor House publications (Southern Living, Cooking Light, etc)

If you have a red cabbage, they are very good braised with Granny Smith apples and some red wine vinegar and some beer.

Let us know what you come up with! Gotta love that cabbage, gas and all!