Thread: Striped pepper!
View Single Post
Old February 25, 2017   #245
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
With regard to Fish Pepper -- the striping in that pepper is genetically heritable. In a production situation I would say that there do seem to be "costs" to having the "striping" trait in all layers of meristems. Plant uniformity is not great, and under some conditions it can be very variable (plant size, vigor etc.).

That said, these issues are no big deal for most gardeners who are not interested in consistently producing a certain # of lbs per acre.

Thanks for adding your knowledge too Fred. Every bit of knowledge helps. Especially when you know nothing about hybridizing peppers, but willing to learn and experiment.

Your right about having to plant hundreds of seeds just for observation. I'm more familiar with the hybridization of Daylilies. Those folks will plant hundreds and thousands of seeds and cull almost as many only keeping those that show any signs of what they are looking for in breeding.

This kinda dumb question, but in Daylilies alot of times we look for specific colors down in the throat to cross with. Like using green throats with pure white flowers will imprint color pattern easier.

I noticed that upon looking close, peppers have different types of petal formations and colors. Hadn't thought to look at throats. Could the flower color and throat too possibly have anything to do with helping to get crosses you want or does that not have any impact on crosses at all? Was just wondering if using a white colored pepper to cross with would make any kind of difference on getting stripes. Ya I ask dumb questions.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote