Thread: Soil Test
View Single Post
Old August 26, 2016   #18
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Your soil test is not totally understandable to me. I don't see any range to know whether Ca of Mg are high or low within their ranges. Maybe you can call the lab to get some guidance on this.
They only seem to tell you if a result is above or below optimum and you can not tell how high or low your result actually is.

I am attaching a copy of my soil test to show you what I am used to seeing and also a link on adding lime and what type. Lime, in addition to raising the pH, is going to add either Ca or Ca and Mg depending on which type you choose. I don't think that an excess of Ca hurts anything, the plants just can't use it (possibly someone else will have an idea on this).

I can't tell from your report whether you could use more Mg or not since I do not know the optimum range.

My soil pH is always high so I never have added lime but I do add sulfur to lower it.

You have probably not caused your pH to be low, it's just the composition of your native soil as well as the amount of rainfall that you receive.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gard...me-to-soil.htm

I have never heard of anyone using the cubic feet to measure, just the square feet so I would do that if I were you.

I hope that this helps, but call the lab and ask them to help you understand the numbers. They are usually quite willing to help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Soil test 2015.pdf (432.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by brownrexx; August 26, 2016 at 11:05 AM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote