View Single Post
Old July 28, 2019   #26
PdxMatos
Tomatovillian™

update it's been a week since I posted, and the original infection does not seem to have spread further.

Following some light rain and a second humid day I did see more early blight on the other end of the garden where I let a volunteer tomato grow along the ground. (Kindof asking for it really)

So I repeated the treatment today.

In general though this has been a major change compared to last year. Normally by this time my plants would have lost a good third of their leaves, as it used to be a race to get all the tomatoes to ripen before the blight completely takes over.

A few people asked about other diseases, the only other disease my plants usually get is powdery mildew, which I haven't seen on any of them this year. However several of the varieties I planted were chosen for their resistance to it, so I can't attribute that to this treatment.

I do have a goji berry plant that has powdery mildew. I didn't want to remove the infected leaves because that is all the leaves on the plant. So I tried putting the tea on its leaves and giving it some aspirin, but I saw no visible change. This is not surprising as the original paper noted that compost tea was not very effective against PM.
PdxMatos is offline   Reply With Quote