Thread: Shade cloth
View Single Post
Old July 23, 2017   #60
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
The cloth is making a huge difference in the amount of sun scald. I picked about a dozen badly scalded peppers out of my unprotected bed and only two out of my shaded bed and they were right on the edge so they only got some shade. If this keeps up it may be worth the extra effort. The peppers I pruned below the first fork are now catching up and loading up with peppers that are better protected because of the shorter denser plants.

Bill
A learned lesson for next year from you. Next year I will prune my bells. I got some sweet peppers, but not as many as I hoped. I pulled off the ripe ones, finally got some ripe, and now shaded plants are growing again.

What really made me sad as I didn't notice til too late, that the hornworms made major destruction of the pepper plants. They ate leaves and peppers like crazy. My fault as with the plants being in shade, I didn't have to water them very often and was too busy killing hornworms on the tomatoes and saving them.

I think next year, I might also do a set-up like RedBaron's. Instead of just shade on top, will cover the sides too. Darn pests will be back next year like always and this time maybe I'll be ready for them.

Maybe since the hornworms did some major pruning, I'll have some bigger plants. I can see new leaf growth and more blooms coming on, so hopefully I'll have plenty by the time frost comes.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote