Thread: Pellet Smokers.
View Single Post
Old June 29, 2016   #13
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. I just google imaged, then ended up on a 'smokin' forum...now i want one,

about the li' Tex Traeger...
..."Stay with the digital Traeger sells. It has a setting for "smoke" which is a lower temp. and then you can go up, 225-450. This has worked great for me and allows you control of what temp. you want."

I'm old school. Off-set fire box and use wood only but i have a farm with lots of trees and old fruit trees....have a collected pile of splits and 'smalls' and small rounds of fruit wood. (lots of it) I enjoy the hands on smoking and really good at the manual temp control.

Designed a cold smoker that attaches easily and made room for a gallon frozen water jug that the smoke passes under and keeps it cool. I cold smoke cheeses and salmon and not that often but fun to have.

The Traeger would be great for Newfoundland being cooler temps and coastal/windy.
We took up our old bullet smoker and are limited to rare calm warm days. Too difficult to control the temp so very limiting and all but gave up on that method. Once a year maybe. Just not loving the packaged product needed for a pellet smoker. We buy maybe one bag of natural chunk charcoal a season now to have an insurance few chunks to toss in if i need some steady heat for a big bbq smoked brisket.

Still like it. (the Traeger).Meat is expensive so any way to keep consistent heat and control over the smoke is worth the money.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote