Thread: Pellet Smokers.
View Single Post
Old June 29, 2016   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Yes, there are many types of pellets for pellet smokers. I"ve tried hickory, pecan, apple, mesquite and oak. I've liked them all, but, find the mesquite too strong for a long cook, but that's just a personal preference. The main advantage of them to me is that they hold the temp set by a temp dial without any effort on your part. That's probably sacrilege to a purist, but I'm just looking to make really good barbecue without having to baby a fire for 10 hours straight.

Dewayne I would like to say something about my German heritage.
Many many moons ago we got into WWl then it was WWll.
Many people back in those days would not even admit to being from Germany much less celebrate the fact they were of this country.
All things German were scoffed at.
Part of my family was like this and the other part wasn't.
As a matter of fact one of the ladies which has long passed away by now couldn't speak English very well if much at all.
This was on my fathers side.
The only thing my father could cook was popcorn.
My mother who was French did all of the cooking and BBQing.
One side of her family came from southern France and the other came from Canada.
Her maiden name was Harlow and her mothers maiden name was Bardot.

We ate a lot of meat but seldom did any BBQ maybe twice a year and a big event.
I remember one time I was in the field and my brother was home on leave from Vietnam.
My mother had killed a copperhead and was burning it in a fire.
I came out of the field thinking we were having BBQ and my brother came driving up thinking the same thing.
My father did too.
Everyone was excited but to our disappointment it was only a snake on a fire.
My mother decided to have BBQ the next day.
Being that I hung around my mother all of the time and helped her cook, I learned how to cook from a french woman not a German man.
My mother was known as one of the best cooks throughout the land wherever we lived.
That is all my wife aver heard about my mother from everyone she met is how good of a cook she was.
My wife never met her but got sick of hearing about it.
I still make my mothers much celebrated BBQ sauce to this day.

The last night I ever saw my mother I cooked BBQ for her and her new husband I was just out of the Marines and headed to Texas.
She said it was some of the best BBQ she had ever had and wanted to know where I learned how to do it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote