View Single Post
Old July 20, 2007   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall Garden ALREADY??

Seems strange because I just started picking my late season tomatoes last week, but it's true! My lima beans are just now beginning to flower but it's time to start thinking about the fall garden around here. I'm really enjoying all my summer veggies but I don't want to get too far behind. My spring, summer and fall gardens always overlap to a degree. The SESE planting chart recommends carrots be planted here between July 21 and August 21! I think I'll dig up all these potatoes this weekend and use that space for some of the earlier fall veggies. I never have squash a full season because of the squash vine borer so those plants come out to make room for the cabbage family.

I plan to grow collards, turnips, kale, carrots, beets, chard, spinach, garlic and shallots. In the past, I've always grown cabbage in the fall. I am thinking about moving it to the spring so I only have to get my grow lights out once a year. I've sown it directly but get much better results when I start plants indoors. Same with broccoli.

Anybody else planning their fall/winter garden yet?