View Single Post
Old August 23, 2012   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I consider myself lucky to have Mr. Jones visiting me and allowing me to do a SHOW AND TELL mostly with potatoes.

It was a difficult job to try to show him some highlights with a scant three hours...I could have used many more to explain details about many more varieties. He visited but one of my plots...so I had to talk fast.

CHELLAN is a cross of Chellah.....a fairly new Irish bred potato and a un-named seedling that had great late blight resistance. I kept the two L's as Chellah has two L's and to distinguish the name from Chelan....the town and lake in central Washington. CHELLAN was a first year seedling hill during the 2011 season and the tubers of the hill were cut to make 32 hills fr 2012. I have been impressed with this clone for many reasons....the vigor, the yield, the late blight res, and the wonderful white tubers it produces. I think it is much better than the parents in nearly every respect.

I am posting a picture of the hills taken about two weeks ago. The plants look even better now. I have crosses of it taking including a cross from Skagit Plenty.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote