View Single Post
Old February 16, 2018   #8
Locomatto
Tomatovillian™

I grew Beaver Dam peppers last year and found them very well suited for stuffing. They have a thin'ish wall so they cook all the way through well without being so thin that they break apart in the pan. I LOVE Giant Marconi's but they are a thick-walled pepper, so I don't know if you'd want to stuff them (unless you go with oven roasting). We used them in salsa last year and I only regret that we didn't grow more.

I've never experienced bitterness in peppers, so I'm guessing that it's a difference in our taste buds. For me, I found the Beaver Dam to be slightly fruity, especially when ripened all the way to red, while being rather mild flavored overall. The Giant Marconi had a stronger flavor than the Beaver Dam, with "smoky/earthy" being the best way that I can describe it. My wife once called the Marconi flavor as "everything that a bell should be, and isn't".

As for heat levels, the Giant Marconi has absolutely zero heat, and I would rate the Beaver Dam as "pleasantly spicy" for most people. However, someone with a very sensitive pallet (like my daughter) may find them too strong.

Hopefully all that helped somewhat, and if you want to give Beaver Dam peppers a try, PM me and I will send you some seeds.
Locomatto is offline   Reply With Quote