View Single Post
Old January 28, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerryman View Post
What's the history of this tomato? I tried searching around but haven't uncovered anything.

It's not a legacy tomato, as in those varieties that are much older varieties, either family or commercial heirlooms. But here's what I know from looking at Anderson's explanation from the SSE YEarbook.

It was first offered to SSE members in the SSE 2007 Yearbook by Anderson but he just introduced it, he was not the person who either bred it or in whose garden it appeared initially by Cross pollination; that person was John Siegel , also of Ohio as is Anderson and Ansderson has introduced severa varieties from Siegel.. He states that it was a cross between Schimmig Craig and a pink and he doesn't say if it was an accidental cross or a deliberate one. perhaps Siegel didn't tell him that.

I haven't grown it and don't intend to for various reasons, but I'm shaking my head as to how the fruits have the color that's described for it knowing what S Craig looks like b'c I've grown it and knowing that pink fruited varieties are pink. Ah well, I guess we'll never know for sure.

So that's Chocolate Stripes, not an heirloom, not a legacy variety, but OP, either from an accidental X pollination or a deliberate one, but I'm betting on the former.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...colate_Stripes

Above is a link to Tania's Tomato data base for this variety. It's a MUST to have this wonderful website in your faves. When you're through reading that page go to the upper left and click on HOME and then save the site to your faves. Tania lists over 3,000 varieties of tomatoes, most with pictures, histories where known as well as seed sources, if there are ones, for each variety. Notice the different ways that you can search for variety information. I prefer to use the alphabetical way myself.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...g1g-v3&aql=&oq=

Above is a general Google search for this variety which also gives much information but mainly for seed sources and the like. And since some of those seed sites are owned by SSE members there's information they have from the SSE YEarbooks themselves.

Hope that helps.