View Single Post
Old October 5, 2013   #51
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

This year, I learned that hot/exotic peppers fail to appreciate Colorado full sun - completely understandable IMO.

And that sweeter/mild peppers need more sun then I offered.

So next year, the hot peppers will get dappled shade and the sweet ones will be sunned more.

I had forgotten to start my peppers early in Jan/Feb so I purchased many plants from cross country gardens. The convenience of receiving the most fabulous box of beautiful plants was awesome, but these plants also failed to love the Colorado dryness/sun.

A few peppers that germinated through neglect far outdid many of the purchased plants.

I need the plants to thrive on neglect as well
I can plan all I want to baby my plants but it never happens.

The plants that thrived: (I started from seed)
Heavy praetermissum - what to do with these beautiful HOT pods?
Nativo Chile - awesome in salsa

Aji Omni-multicolor - huge plant - awesome in salsa
Tabago Seasoning -
Blondie -

Tobago Seasoning - huge plant
Trinidad PI 281317

I visited a local farm, my CSA, and witnessed the definition of thriving. 5 acres (!!) of peppers with NO supports. And the plants were upright although loaded with fruit. The varieties must come into play here. She grows maybe 5 kinds of peppers and must have figured out what would do well in her "garden". Such is my goal.

I dug up all of my peppers and repotted into new soil, in an attempt to overwinter. They are not yet fans of the process - quite irritated actually.

I meant to bag the blossoms, but that never happened.

I have OP seeds to share, if interested - contact me.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote