View Single Post
Old April 5, 2011   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

barkeater, this was just a one year experiment so I wouldn't count on the results yet. Many of the varieties mentioned below still got fusarium and most eventually died from it or something else but they did produce abundantly. Most of these got multiple plantings in different locations and most had the same results despite the different locations.

The ones showing the strongest resistance or the best production despite getting fusarium last year were in order of resistance:

Indian Stripe
JDs Special C Tex
Neves Azorean Red
Berkley Tie Dye Pink
Old Virginia
Gary O' Sena
Marianna's Peace
Kosovo
Linnie's Oxheart
Pale Perfect Purple

The ones below showed some tolerance and still produced well enough before dying to be worth replanting if you like their taste and are in no particular order:

Stump of the World
Limbaugh's Legacy
Gregori's Altai
KBX
Black Krim
Donskoi
Cowlick's Brandywine
Royal Hillbilly
Akers West Virginia
Pruden's Purple
Stupice
Red Siberian
Mortgage Lifter

These showed little in the way of resistance but still managed to make a small to medium crop before dying:

Noire de Crimmee
Druzba
Rostova
Hege German Pink
German Red Strawberry
Noire de Crimee

The ones below got multiple plantings and all died without producing more than a couple of small fruits. These are listed starting with the absolute worst:

Coustralee
Reif Red Heart
Costoluto Genovese
Delicious
Heinz 1370
Mrs. Benson
Orange Heirloom
Golden Ponderosa
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Break O Day
Green Zebra
Paul Robeson ( I did get one plant to produce very moderately but since this one got almost a dozen plantings in the last 2 years it made the worst list)

The ones that didn't make any of these lists were ones that didn't get more than one or two plantings and thus did not get a fair test in my garden. I will be planting many of the above varieties again this year and try to keep up with the fusarium problems by variety again. Some of the ones that did pretty good won't make the cut for me because of their taste or lack thereof. I could of course just plant 4 or 5 of the more successful varieties but then I would be back to having very little variety like I had with the fusarium resistant hybrids.

I tried the Root Sheild in an experiment last year and the results were inconclusive at best. I treated all of my early plantings this year and also added BiotaMax to the regimen to see if it makes any difference but I think the best results will come from varieties that tolerate the disease from what I have observed so far.

The plants in my garden look fantastic right now and I am dreading the first signs of fusarium which should start appearing in the next month as the weather warms up. I need to get busy planting more seed so I will have replacements for the inevitable losses to come.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote