View Single Post
Old November 20, 2013   #25
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

STUPICE
There are only two varieties of Czech tomato Stupice!
Stupické polní ranní
Stupické skleníkové
Historic letter
The following is from Forest Shomer, of Port Townsend:
I'm always tickled to see how you laud the Stupice tomato! I certainly feel the same way. FYI, here is the letter from Milan Sodomka, originator of Stupice, which contained a small amount of each of his various tomato lines. This was in response to Rodale's first review of Abundant Life (which I originated) as well as Johnny's and three other start-ups.
"Prague, 24/3 1976
"Dear Sir:
"I am a permanent reader of 'The Organic Gardening and Farming' and the January issue I have read a very interesting article: 'Special seeds for special needs' and your successful undertaking. I beg to ask you for your catalog and some trial seeds esp. of your tomatoes, onions, lettuce, Marigold and Verbena for now. In the contrary I am enclosing four varieties of our Czechoslovak tomatoes and two East German bush varieties which proved here very well. And one Bulgarian variety too.
"I am 70 and in spite of this I am most happy when I can try something new in my garden.
"Please to write me if you have some wish I could accomplish.
"I thank you in advance!
"Very sincerely yours,
"Milan Sodomka"
Milan Sodomka never worked on the farm Stupice (I asked on the firm Selgen Stupice- they cultivat only field crops today- cereals, beet, etc. He was only gardeners, which probably planted only commercial varieties.The commercial seeds was very cheap in 70. age in Czechoslovakia and it wasn´t consuetude to conserve one´s own seeds.
Which from two original varieties is Stupice, it is chance to detect only by the planted Stupice alongside Stupické polní rané (Spr) and Stupické skleníkové (Ss).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stupické polní rané (Spr).jpg (369.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Stupické skleníkové (Ss).jpg (484.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Above Ss below Spr.jpg (341.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Spr.jpg (174.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg Left Ss.jpg (395.3 KB, 164 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote