View Single Post
Old July 29, 2016   #1
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Shallots & Shallot Seeds (not sets)

Two years ago I ordered French Red Shallot sets from two different vendors.

One vendor sent me long, pointed sets that were still joined in clumps of three of four at their base.

The other sent me larger round lumpy things that were a darker red, some also still joined.

Looking for on-line images for French Red Shallots I came up with some that resembled both, plus more that looked nothing like either one. So I planted both in the fall and the following summer harvested a decent amount of each, both looking just like what I had planted.

I replanted a smaller amount of both versions last fall. The long ones didn't survive the winter. The round ones did and grew just like they did the year before, except two put out huge flower stalks. I left them and they both bloomed, but then one broke off, the other I cut last week right before I pulled the shallots. Now I'm sitting looking at this partially dried thing full of seeds and trying figure out if they're worth saving and planting.

I still don't know if this or the long one are the "true" shallots, and if not, what are they? The information I've found on line so far is either very vague or very contradictory.

One site says true shallots do not produce seed. Another says that all shallots will go to seed in year two.

Some tell me that all shallots that throw flowers are hybrids and seeds won't grow true or are sterile; then I find sites with instructions on how to harvest and grow shallot seeds with no mention of hybrids.

And yet another site says that if shallot seeds grow, they will only produce one bulb, like an onion. So, does that mean they're hybrids?

Last year I was gifted a pack of seeds from an unknown variety of shallots which flowered. The tray the shallot seedling were sharing with my onion seedling was blown over this spring, and I couldn't tell what was what when I planted them out. They are all close to harvest time, but all I see are single bulbs--nothing seems to have divided which makes me think the hybrid single bulb theory might be correct.

Anyone ever grow shallots from saved seed? What happened?

I'm doing a germination test on a few seeds to at least rule out the sterile theory.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote