View Single Post
Old January 19, 2016   #28
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We had a rough year in 2015 with Septoria, so I'm hesitant to draw any firm conclusions and even on top of that, it is only 1 year. So some plants were pulled before we got more than a few ripe fruits, while others handled the pruning/spraying better and recovered and provided more fruits. I've grown Black Krim for a number of years and wanted to try other black tomatoes. A few I wanted to grow last year but didn't make the cut and I'll grow those some time in the future.

We grew: Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Mikado Black, Margaret Curtain, Pink Berkley Tie Dye, Carbon Copy.

Results: All tomatoes grown had very good to excellent flavor. Mikado black was easily the most susceptible to Septoria and for that reason I don't think I'd grow it again. Black Krim and Carbon Copy had the highest tolerance. I liked Margaret Curtain and Pink Berkley Tie Dye, then Cherokee Purple. But again I don't want to draw firm conclusions based on last year's conditions. Nothing I grew last year kicked Black Krim out of its place, but I will do another black year sometime down the road. I also enjoyed Carbon Copy quite a bit, it is a large cherry. And at our house we're always looking for more cherries, so it will be back. My only knock on it was at the end of the year it suffered from a lot of splitting and I'm not sure why as it wasn't overly wet, perhaps it was soaking up water from roots that grew under the green beans that got watered more--I'll see if that issue returns in 2016.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote