View Single Post
Old April 26, 2019   #10
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Doe Hill is a small plant with fairly low yield, but the peppers are good.

I grew Doe Hill before,and we really liked it.Also grew Red Cheese which we also liked.I will grow DH again next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
Yield usually depends on size of pots, quality of soil and growing skill.

I have seen many tests where 100 litre pot was used and 160 litre pot used.

Grown exactly the same, in the same place at the same time.

The one in the 100 pots consistently get 1000 chilis.

The 160 litre pot gets 2500 chillis.

Yes you can get 2500 from a single plant and the test was done in UK in a hoop house ( our weather is like Seattle so much worse than yours by far )

I'd like to try growing in 5gal buckets,and a few 7gal fabric grow bags.I have quite a few 5gal buckets is why I want to try them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I always end up with more hot peppers than I can use, and not enough sweets. Whether they produce more or I use so much less, it always seems to work out that way.

That being said, Guajillo is a great choice for a mild seasoning pepper, I love em. They are a big plant so lots of yield potential.
In the sweet peppers, Sweet Banana has produced the most for me, but the taste is not special. Jimmy Nardello is a good producer for us. All the thicker fleshed varieties like Doe Hill are pretty slow here and lower yields, although they can be worth the wait. You will need more plants to get a target yield, I think.

I'm really looking forward to growing the Guajillo,but I might opt to buy the bags of dried that they sell in the market for just this year.

We also grew the Jimmy Nardello,and it is a great pepper.I bought a Banana Pepper at the local nursery because the wife likes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIBB View Post
Poblanos and Jalapenos have to be my favorite hots.

Depending on what I want to can or preserve I alternate what I grow but I always grow certain peppers regardless
The last several years I went heavy on hot peppers for sauces but backed off this year because I have a ton of different hot sauces to keep me happy!

Good golly Sqwibb.You quite obviously enjoy peppers...and you take excellent photos as well.

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Giant Marconi is an F1 Hybrid, and Red Marconi is OP. When I grew them the same year, Giant Hyb was much larger than the Red OP, seeds from Sand Hill.

I also got variable shapes from one of the hybrid plants.

Your peppers do indeed look very similar, and I know there has been confusion on this for a few years, so who knows what has been accidentally or purposefully dehybridized. At any rate, they are both very good thick walled peppers.

Here they are in comparison to other sweet peppers. Sharpie marker at the top for scale.

I called the Master Gardener association here locally,and have found a Giant Marconi,so that is nice.

They didn't have anything else other than the normal Cal Wonder and whatnot tho.

Would you guys think that it is probably too late to start from seed? I'd really like to try a couple of Ajvarski's,but the shipping is pretty expensive.