View Single Post
Old October 22, 2017   #32
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default You know what...

Hi all ...I have to be honest I resent some of your replies cause I believe they go against the basics of growing Tomatoes as i know it ...So first remember it took a New Zealander to land Americans on the moon and also earlier to split the atom ..We are not hill billies down here....
So now I have that off my chest...lets look at your replies..

dmforcier...Yes washing machine drums do make excellent pots/containers/drums etc not only for tomatoes but all plants..they are widely used here...at $5 each they cost far less than the large plastic containers and far more durable ...I regard watering (ie too much or not enough)as critical to Tomatoes ...I tried hosing etc 4 years ago and it kills them by drowning or especially spreading disease ....Now airflow ..I know airflow is critical ..Now that Worth has advised to use fans 24/7 I will do this ....Oh yes Onanism??I must Google that to find out what it means..

Worth1...I do not think I presumed they do not need airflow when sleeping ..the truth is I did not know and I thankyou for putting me right ..I will keep the fans on all the time once the seedlings are put in the so called "Growth Chamber"...

imp..I really did get a lot of tomatoes last season but that was due to the mature Tasty Tom plants that I purchased ..they really produced and I will not be satisfied till I can grow plants like these ...Plus they are such a great tasting fruit..and do well down here ..

Moneymaker...No I have no problems ...I think I posted just to get the best information on what best to do when i repot my seeds ...I certainly do not want to use anything that would clash with the Mycorrhizae i intend using .... Now Grow lights..Question? Are normal LED 150cm tubes Grow Lights ...NO they are not ...These are mainly normal cool white and I have never read anywhere that light is no good for Tomato seedlings...and New Zealand ..I would be interested if you have ever visited here especially in the deep south cause it seems to me you know nothing about where I live ...Summer is quite some way off and even then we have widely variable temperatures and strong winds usually til February ....
My greenhouse base is concrete hense the washing machine drums ..By the way the structure of the greenhouse is made from steel wire bed frames and sliding glass doors?? .......and i do take advice BUT not when It goes against everything I have read and experienced..

Dmforcier...I originally used the Cornell University mix that they recommend (also Tomatodirt.com) IE Equal parts by volume of Sphagnum moss-perlite-and Vermiculite ..I quickly changed this to 2 parts of Moss with 1 part of Perlite and 1 Part Vermiculite....Then I changed too 3 parts of moss with 1 part each of Perlite and Vermiculite ... I still have concerns about the mix especally the ability to support seedlings ... and when did you advise me I do not need Vermiculite ...was it last season ...I know many have concerns about its use but some experienced Tomato growing sites still advise to use it...
and what better could I do in my old age but grow Tomatoes...and share the fruit with others..

What I really like about this year is the way I am propagating my seedlings ..With no interference with the root structure surely that in itself is a plus ....

Finally ...I do need expert advice...I could not help myself from trying to Propagate some Tasty Toms from seed I saved from last seasons fruit ...Yes ..I was told it probably would not work but then again it just might...So I Propagated some seeds....I took one out to the local gardening centre and they told me it was "blind"....Well that was the first time I had heard of a seedling being blind.......Anyway I have 4 seedlings and I will attach photos ...cause I would certainly like to know if they are all blind ...???

What I really like about this year is the way I am propagating my seedlings ..With no interference with the root structure surely that in itself is a plus ....

Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TTA.jpg (15.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg TTB.jpg (17.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg TTC.jpg (20.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg TTD.jpg (19.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; October 22, 2017 at 05:54 AM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote