Thread: Pasta Recipes
View Single Post
Old July 30, 2007   #29
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Marinara Sauce

This is great sauce. I've typed it from the cookbook Garlic Garlic Garlic. I used 56 ounces of fresh heirloom/OP tomatoes instead of canned Italian plums. I blanched the tomatoes, removed skins, cut them in half, squeezed out seeds and strained them from the juice and added juice back to tomatoes. If it takes you more than a few days to try this recipe, you will regret it once you try it. :-)

Makes 2 Quarts

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably very fruity
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 plump garlic cloves, smashed and minced
1 large yellow onion, minced
1 large carrot, scraped and shredded
2 28-ounce cans Italian plum tomatoes, crushed, with their juice
2 teaspoons dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed dried red chilies
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper [cayenne]
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

In a large, heavy non-reactive saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onions and carrots, and saute, stirring often, until carrots are soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, chilies and cayenne. Bring sauce to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt, pepper and baking soda. Blend thoroughly and serve [over your favorite pasta or mix pasta into sauce when finished]. Sauce freezes well so you may want to split it up if batch makes to much for one meal.