Thread: Canning Season.
View Single Post
Old October 10, 2017   #167
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The weight of the Presto 23 quart canner is 12.75 pounds.
The amount of water they say to put in the canner is 3 quarts which is 6 pounds.
Add 7 quart jars to the canner at a little over 14 pounds we will say 16 and you have about 34 pounds sitting on the stove.

I have a 22 quart heavy bottom stainless kettle I use all the time completely full at around 46 pounds maybe more.

I have a big National 25 and two Kook Kwicks I use.

This on a GE glass top stove that in the manual says I can use a canner on it.
And yes stove tops have a volume knob on them you dont have to drive them at full throttle anymore than you would a car.
A 16,000 BTU at half throttle would be around 8,000 BTU.
Electric stoves measuer in watts there are on line watts to BTU conversion calculators you can find.
Even then you wouldn't be running the canner that hard anyway just enough to keep pressure up and no more.
With enough heat under the thing a person could make the canner pressure overcome the ability for the vent pipe to release that pressure.
Now lets look at the heat thing.
When you fry something on the stove top in a skillet the bottom of that pan is a heck of a lot hotter than a canner by about 100 degrees or a little more.

Worth
that was my thought on using the stove while doing other methods of cooking. I generally don't fry with oil on my stove but I know it gets hot.... and I usually run my canner at a lower heat than while browning meat or even frying something (which is rare) I bring something to the temperature I want then turn it down to maintain it. My canner on my electric stove tends to stay at temperature down in the 2 or 3 range on my dial.
My one manual ( I have two stoves in my kitchen) for the GE stove says Cast iron shouldn't be used as it conducts heat poorly... WHAT?... I still use it and it works fine. that is also the stove I can on but the manual makes no comment anywhere on using it for canning.