View Single Post
Old July 16, 2017   #108
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Thank you for letting me know, and Nan in the following post, about potential difficulties getting in. I will let him know this- all I can do until then is copy and paste email correspondence from him here on this thread. I do hope he can get in, as I have the suspicion that some here may consider him to be an apparition, a figment of my imagination, or a small piece of anti-matter

Regarding MM, when I first described the story of Omar Saab bringing you those seeds from one of the hill towns, and I showed him a picture of the fruit from your book, he said "oh, that's Majdel Maouch", without hesitation. Majdel Maouch is an actual town outside Beirut, where that tomato originated from. He just told me that the tomato is most famous for the exceptional size and taste- as I mentioned, they grew a 2 kg MM a few years ago. He told me that MM is well-known throughout Lebanon.
Darin, you can't have two ways.

Supposedly Fact one. MM is well known throughout Lebanon.

Supposedly Fact Two. an actual town,not specified where MM came from?

I think you need to contrast that with what Omar said himself. He was an adjunct at the place where I was also teaching.He was notified that his father had just died and he was needed back in Lebanon to help settle his father's estate.His father was very rich and owned many hotels on the med.

Before he even left for Lebanon he knew of my interest in heirloom varieties since he saw me asking both students and faculty if they had any to share,and they did. From Opalka to Crnovic Yugoslavian and many more.

He said if he had time he would try to get seeds for what he called that big pink one grown in the hill towns.And who lived in the various hill towns?

Those who were rich and had built homes up there where it was cooler to escape the heat along the Med.And that had been going on for a very long time and those homes were passed down through the generations. Was it Omar's father or great granfather who first built the home that Omar lived in when he was a kid and thereafter?? I never asked him.

I have no idea what Samir's background is at all re hill towns,rich, etc. If he appears here I certainly will ask him myself.

Carolyn,who would love to know what Omar is doing now and where he is, if he ever married,does he have kids of his own? He taught human physiology, I guess that was his major from the University in Lebanon.