View Single Post
Old June 19, 2018   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Best early season ever

Finally after over forty years of gardening I have had a spectacular first half of the season. Although I cut down on the number of tomato, cucumber and squash plants I set out this year all of them have produced far more than any year I can remember. Even my beans did spectacularly well. Pests have been minor as well as foliage diseases. Usually by this time of the year I am in full fight mode against both and I am sure that is coming up soon; but for now it is wonderful. We had a long spell with cool nights and my tomatoes set very heavily so much so that I had to cull a lot of small fruit from clusters that were way overloaded. Despite that I still made as many or more large fruits as I ever have. I think I have gotten all the large ones off the vines now that I picked that 2 lb Virginia Sweet yesterday and now can settle in to a more leisurely pace of harvesting. The cucumbers should slow down soon now that we are getting some days in the upper 90s and I don't know how much longer the squash can make it without the dreaded squash vine borer.

We did have one spell of 12 days in a row of rain at least once but more often several times a day and I feared the season would be a mess but I had very few splitting fruits during that time and have had to do almost no watering except for a two week dry spell. I couldn't have asked for better rainfall amounts as the tomatoes have been wonderfully tasty with nary a watery mushy one so far.

I know that writing this down is just asking ror a complete reversal of the good fortune I have had this year; but I just couldn't resist after all the seasons of constant recurring problems in the garden. I have had a good many very successful seasons but not without a fight. It is really a rare thing down here to have this kind of wonderful four months of gardening success without the constant distractions of fighting numerous pests and relentless diseases. I know that it is too much to hope to see this again in my lifetime and I am just thankful to have had the experience.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest it is time to get ready for the flood of pests and foliage diseases that are just around the bend.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote