View Single Post
Old March 1, 2018   #11
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm off to an early start this year, planning to put my plants through the cold tolerance rigors again. From past experience it will add about 10 days to the DTM, but I will still get earlier fruit and a better set because the plants are well adapted to set in the cool spring conditions.

I have six seeds of Whiskeyjack F3 planted, and the seeds are looping up this morning, looks like Whiskeyjack will be first to shuck the seed. That is them in the back left corner, lined up with other early black competition.

Although I only have two spaces allocated for full size Whiskeyjack plants, I'm starting with six seedlings because past experience says that is enough in most cases, to show the recessive traits onboard. Precocious flowering appears to be a recessive part of earliness, so I want to make sure that I keep the earliest one(s). Simple recessives like PL are likely to show up too if present - I don't want to select PL, but it's useful to know if that gene is still lurking in this generation.

I haven't fully decided how to handle the extras, in order to see what's there in shape segregation and possibly taste as well. I may use small containers, or I may do a multi - pot, and prune them hard to get just a couple of clusters of fruit - enough to taste and save seeds if there's a reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toms-up.JPG (253.9 KB, 180 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote