View Single Post
Old February 16, 2009   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Pork and Tomatillo Stew

This spicy Mexican-style stew is loaded with vegetables and is very hearty. I make this a lot in the winter although I have to use canned tomatillos.

INGREDIENTS
  1. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  2. 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 3-inch chunks
  3. Salt and freshly ground pepper
  4. 2 large celery ribs, finely diced
  5. 1 small red onion, finely diced
  6. 1 Anaheim chile, seeded and finely diced
  7. 2 garlic cloves, minced
  8. 2 teaspoons mild chile powder
  9. 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  10. Pinch of dried oregano
  11. 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
  12. 1 cup 1/2-inch-diced carrots
  13. Two 6-ounce russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
  14. One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (or 2 pounds paste tomatoes, seeded, skins removed, diced finely.)
  15. 1 pound tomatillos—husked, rinsed and cut into 1-inch dice
  16. Hot sauce
  17. Chopped cilantro, for garnish
  18. Corn tortilla chips, for serving
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a medium casserole or Dutch oven, heat the oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until browned on 2 sides, about 2 minutes per side. Add the celery and onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the diced chile, garlic, chile powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and tomatillos, cover and simmer over low heat until the pork is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
  2. Transfer the pork to a plate and shred with two forks. Meanwhile, simmer the stew over moderate heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir the shredded pork into the stew and season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Ladle the stew into bowls, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with a few tortilla chips.
The stew can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently.