View Single Post
Old May 8, 2017   #42
svalli
Tomatovillian™

On Saturday I went to see my garlic bed in middle of the muddy field. It looked so pathetic and sad compared to pictures of PureHarvest's neat rows. Soil in our field is clay and climate much colder, but still that is not an excuse not to do things better way. PureHarvest has raised the bar and that has given me ideas how to improve my own planting process.
Spring here has been cooler than normal and there was still snow on the ground in shady spots. There are still freezing nights and snow in the forecast for this week, but it should warm up from the Mothers' Day. Despite the cold spring Spanish and French varieties had already some green growth, but the Siberian ones had just few spikes poking through the soil.
I am almost too ashamed to show my own black plastic covered garlic bed, but this could be shown as an example how different the results look, when there is not enough effort put into the soil preparation and planning in the planting phase. The leaves around the bed are the ones used for winter mulch.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valkosipulipenkki 20170506.jpg (855.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Casablanca 20170506.jpg (525.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Spanish garlic 20170506.jpg (620.6 KB, 96 views)