Thread: Corn?
View Single Post
Old December 5, 2017   #15
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
that was pay dirt and a normal for some of the newer varieties. but commercial growers often buy sweet corn by seed count. we looked at stokes to buy cafe and it was close to 100.00 for 10,000 seeds. enough for one planting of Cafe corn. good night! no way am I spending 100.00 on a patch of sweetcorn just for the seed. we finally found it for 21.00 a pound at another seed supplier near us.

and unfortunately you have to plant corn by the block for pollination. it is nearly impossible to plant to harvest only 2 ears at a time.

I paid $212 for a 8-lb bag of GMO corn a few years ago. It had "Attribute," which is the trait that makes it produce BT, which is supposed to make it not have worms. It grew great, but was full of worms. Late that year, the University of Illinois published a bulletin, and whoops!, Attribute only works on worms in Europe, not in the US. The solution was to buy next year's model, which contained Attribute II, and this time we promise it will work, just buy another $200 bag of corn seed. 'No thank you' was my response.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote