View Single Post
Old April 4, 2018   #29
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
That sure doesn't sound like the Arcadia I've been growing for a long time now. For me the main heads are usually 2+ lbs. It does have some side shoots but nothing remarkable. It is the latest variety I grow so at times my last planting will freeze out. But it will withstand a lot of frost and still come back to produce a head if it warms up again.

The 1 thing about Arcadia that can be a problem is that it needs lots of boron to produce a nice even head. Otherwise it can be rough , uneven and brown in spots.

Carol
The only broccoli that has produced heads that large for me are Packman, Gypsy, Green Goliath and Gypsy. I actually grew a few heads that were over 12 inches across years ago when I had an huge supply of chicken manure and ground peanut hulls worked into the top 8 inches of my garden. The only problem with that mix was an abundance of weeds that still haunt my garden 35 years later.

The largest main stem head that I got off of Arcadia was no more than 5 inches across and yet I had some side shoots of 6 inches across and a lot of side shoots in excess of 4 inches. For now my main broccoli will remain Gypsy unless someone can tell me about a better one to try. I don't like any variety that has large beads or loose heads and of all the ones I have tried that do well down here Gypsy has been the best since the lose of Coronado Crown.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote