View Single Post
Old October 6, 2015   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Our youngest son (Who turns 26 tomorrow) just read this thread. He liked it all. He talked about having to order parts online now, and the bags come with 50 pins in them. He enjoys building knives and all sorts of things like that.

It does look nice and very useful Worth.
Salt when I make my order from Jantz supply I'm scared to death of what I will get.
Rivets will be top of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
I wondered about the sharp edges, but thought you could adjust after a test drive, that's the beauty of working with wood, you can always take some away.

But for this >> So if I had it to do over I would have made it longer.

You mean the handle, right? But then how could it (the wood scales) be longer than the tang? Would you start them higher up on the blade (towards business end), or extend them past the end (handle side) and add a spacer of some type to replace/extend the end of the tang (as commonly done for some light duty table/Kitchen knives?)
Yes I would extend the handle without taking away from the blade.
There are several options to do this.
One would be to weld on a longer tang which would be easy to do without ruing the temper with a TIG welder.
You simply put the blade in a vise and it acts as a heat sink and you take your time.
Or you could just slot the handle on a table saw and cut the rest out by hand it need be.
Then you could drill your holes get the tang set properly and do as I did this one and glue in the spacers on both sides.
This way the rest of the handle would be solid.
Or you could weld up the sides of the tang to where it was all the way to the edge of the handle.
Just set the tang on a piece of steel and trace it out like I did the walnut.
cut it out to length and so on.
Any of these methods would work fine it would just be the way you wanted it to look.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote