View Single Post
Old February 27, 2018   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Patti, thank you for what you wrote, and the seeds.

I am going to grow them in the ground that does have RKN and Fusarium race 3. That is my test/experiment with the super hybrids. Just see if they will grow and produce. Taste is a secondary thought at the most. I just want to see how they do. That could shape how I grow tomatoes in the future, If they don't work out - I can say I gave it my all. Even with that result - I'll be happy, and will adjust.
I did the same experiment a few years back and it resulted in me getting into grafting. Seeing those plants grow large and healthy in my soil and not dying early of fusarium was wonderful to see. The only drawback was they tasted so much like tomatoes from the grocery store that it forced me into trying grafting. Now that I have been doing it for a few years I don't find it particularly difficult but it is time consuming and requires starting my tomatoes much earlier in order to allow for the lost time that the plants undergo when healing up. I am now free to grow varieties that were impossible to get fruit from in the past due to them dying before they could even make the first ripe fruit.

I hope your experiment goes well. Just a little tip. Some of the super hybrid varieties like Amelia are fairly vegetative and indeterminate so they will require some pruning to stop them from making too many stems that will result in small fruit. Most of them will be determinate tomatoes which will not require much pruning.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote