Thread: Fusarium Wilt
View Single Post
Old June 16, 2018   #296
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I will be growing some sweet potatoes, but not in those raised beds. They are sitting on top of hard red clay. I have to eat a leaf too
My raised beds sit on hard red clay. The beds are 8 inches deep and that seemed plenty deep for the sweet potatoes. As a matter of fact some of the runners went out quite a ways and I had sweet potatoes growing in pure clay. One of them was about 7 inches long. I didn't even know they could penetrate that stuff but they did. Of course there weren't many like that but there were a fair number of smaller sweet potatoes growing outside the beds. This is the same bed that was dedicated to only sweet potatoes three years ago and they didn't make many potatoes but the same bed the next year with only a few volunteers growing under my pepper plants did fantastic. I made about four times as many potatoes. I know it can't just be the year because the two years since when I let the sweet potato vines run under the peppers they also made really good and I have never had much luck with sweet potatoes in the past. I have already set out some slips under my first bed of bells and will be setting more out under my second bed which I hope to plant the first of next week.

Bill

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote