Thread: gutter garden
View Single Post
Old June 13, 2016   #4
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

The roof top gutter garden at church is doing very well so far this year. Probably because of the abundant sun, heat, and lack of rain, there is little in the way of foliage disease and the plants are growing happily. Last year, we daisy chained in another set of gutters, doubling the size of the garden. This year, we added gutters around the front of trellises for planters with flowers to make the area more attractive for everyone using the roof space.

I now have 32 5 gallon buckets for tomatoes, 1 dozen 3 gallon pails for peppers. there are 5 large trays for, 1 each for herbs, lettuce, onions, kale, and celery. I have added 12 wider pails which are probably about 2.5 gallon capacity and I am trialing sweet potatoes in them. Almost all of the tomatoes are from the dwarf project, but I have a couple of determinates growing. I think there are a little too large and sprawly for this garden, and they will probably be replaced with dwarfs next season. Hoping for a bountiful harvest for the church's homeless ministries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0137.jpg (677.6 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0143.jpg (778.0 KB, 202 views)
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote