View Single Post
Old November 7, 2018   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

black raspberries have thorns and are canes also. not nearly as vicious as blackberries when working with them. black raspberries are totally different than blackberries in flavor. these I will pick. Birds drop the seeds regularly and new plants grow all the time. where there are blackberries there are probably black raspberries too. all brambles have rather long canes. black raspberries arch over and root where the new tip touches the ground. blackberries and red raspberries reproduce from suckers rather than tip rooting. they all need rather vigorous pruning to maintain them and keep them in control. I have red raspberries that stay kind of short and some that grow to about 10' tall if I don't prune them back.... which we do if we want to pick them. blackberries are going to also grow rather tall and uncontrollably come late Summer.
blackberries are just wet and sour to me. I leave them for the birds. blech! but they are very effective border plants. just wear body armor and inch thick leather gloves when pruning them.

Last edited by clkeiper; November 7, 2018 at 10:14 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote