View Single Post
Old June 15, 2016   #34
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, both of you.

I never pruned Taxi. Mine grew into 7' tall hedges. Fruit size does vary a lot with Taxi. I have had some be softball-sized, and others be more like saladettes.

Good luck with the new high tunnel. I think the biggest benefit of the double-layer plastic is that you avoid radiative cooling, and the effect of it that makes a single-layer structure drop about five degrees below the outside temperature.

I may drastically change my game plan for next year. I would really like to be done with my crop by now, not just getting started. I wanted to try low tunnels this year, but all my effort went into expanding my garden space. For next year, I may try to not get any bigger, build low tunnels on all my rows, and come up with a way to heat them a little on freezing nights. I think a propane-powered job site heater would do the trick, with the right ducting. Then I'd grow an early, compact plant like the hybrid cherry Terrenzo, and I would be selling tomatoes in May, and then be done by the first week of June.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote