View Single Post
Old March 6, 2011   #2
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyartist View Post
My plants have been doing very well up until this week-end or at least now I have an obvious problem. All my plants were started at the same time 2/16 and potted up ten days later. The were all wonderful until I notice now that some have yellowed considerably while others are nice and green. They have all been potted up with Miracle Grow seed starting mix as that is all my small town hardware sells. The Azoychka's are fairing the worse with Aunt Gertie's Gold and Arbuznyi being still nicely green. Tap water is all any have had, I'v not added any fertilizer to the water. What is the likely cause for my relatively sudden yellowing and seemingly negative result now with some of these? The photos show yellowing in various stages plus a few healthy greener examples all growing side by side under the same conditions.
They do not look over watered so my best guess is that they do need some weak fertilizer. MG at .5 tsp (the small end ) to a gallon of water should be plenty. If you can I would use the new organic MG its got a much better quality nitrogen profile, but you can use what you can buy locally or have on hand. just use it at a 1/4 to half strength.

The seed starting mix from MG only has 0.05 nitrogen and if the water PH is a bit high which most tap waters are a little high then you are not really getting that.

If you want just to get them back on track you could even get a cheap gallon of water to add the fert too (just this time around) and add the fert to that to water with just to see if they come around.

maybe some others will chime in as well but from the splotchy yellow and green veins in the leaves my bet would be on not enough nitrogen