View Single Post
Old February 16, 2013   #40
Mischka
TomatovilleŽ Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog55 View Post
Do you a deluted the portion of the saltwater farms fertilizers for your seedlings? If so what ratio? Do you folar feed you seedlings or as a soil drench? Thanks in advance
I moisten seed starter mix with the PGR solution ( 1 teaspoon per gallon) and sow the seeds on heat mats in trays with clear dome covers. As soon as the first seedlings emerge, I remove the covers to avoid damping off issues.

I keep the seedlings watered with PGR as needed. It's important that the starter mix is not kept constantly soggy, because over-watering at this stage will cause problems.

Once the seedlings have reached 3" tall, I turn on oscillating fans that are plugged into timers that can be set to turn on and off several times in a 24 hour period. The fans are on low speed and are far enough away so that the foliage slightly rustles with each pass of the fan sweep. This causes the seedlings to develop thick, sturdy stems.

Using the fan treatment also causes the growing medium to dry out quicker, but it's nothing too drastic. I also mist the plants weekly at this point with PGR solution as a foliar feed.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote