View Single Post
Old September 17, 2016   #184
tedln

Speaking only for myself, I sometimes wonder if it would be helpful to be color blind when judging the taste quality of various tomatoes. I wonder if my prejudice for red tomatoes ("it ain't a tomato if it ain't red") causes me to lower my estimation of the flavors of orange, yellow, GWR, black and other color varieties.

Of the yellow/orange varieties, only KBX and Orange Minske have flavors which are outstanding to me. I wonder if I like them so much because they taste like the best tasting red tomatoes. The other yellow/orange varieties may have subtle flavors I can't detect.

Of the black tomatoes, only Black Krim, Black From Tula, Indian Stripe; and possibly Carbon have a subtle smokey flavor I like. Some people say they have a salty taste instead of a smokey taste. I can't detect salty flavors in anything until it becomes strongly salty so I would never detect a salty flavor in a tomato. We may also be describing the same flavor two different ways.

Most pink tomatoes are simply milder flavors of red tomatoes to my taste buds.

I haven't found a GWR tomato which tastes good in comparison to other tomatoes. I discount the description of sweet tomatoes because my taste preferences are not sweet. Acidic or tart is probably my strongest preference and those flavors are most commonly found in bright red tomatoes.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; September 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM.