View Single Post
Old July 28, 2018   #11
bower
Tomatovillian™

When I went out this evening I saw that the outdoor rounds were mostly flopping down, so I decided to dig them up and compare size with the ones grown in pots in the greenhouse.
There seem to be differences that depend on the variety.
Keeping in mind that I chose 8 or 9 of the largest bulbils from these varieties, which I planted in the greenhouse just in case of a bad winter. So the outdoor survivors came from bulbils that were a little bit smaller.
There is not a lot of size difference for Tallinn, which also had the best survivorship through the awful winter conditions - close to 50 %. (10/24). The rows had shifted quite a bit and one of them was turned partly upsidedown so there was a lot of disturbance from the flooding freezing and thawing, even in spite of a thick kelp mulch. The outdoor rounds are as big as the indoor ones or a little bigger.

These are really enormous compared to porcelain rounds, and I can't wait to see them grown up into garlic.
Siberian is a very interesting result - the outdoor survivor (only one!) is much larger than the ones grown in the greenhouse. This one must have been growing like mad during our June winter, so really vigorous even in the cold, but less than 5% survival rate perhaps due to the rain, freezing, rain, freezing, more rain....

Lyubasha and Ziemiai don't show a significant size difference between greenhouse and outdoors, keeping in mind that the outdoor ones were smaller to begin with. Ziemiai survival of the floods was 8%; Lyubasha had lower survival in both greenhouse and outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rnds-tallinn.JPG (310.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg rnds-siberian.JPG (201.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg rnds-ziemiai.JPG (162.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg rnds-lyubasha.JPG (146.3 KB, 99 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote