Thread: Dehydrating
View Single Post
Old January 4, 2009   #57
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Mine are refrigerated in my root cellar. It is a constant 38 degrees in my root cellar which is colder than my frig. I add no herbs or garlic to the jars and I vacuum seal a lid on. I also DO NOT advocate storing tomatoes in oil un-refrigerated and I guess I shoud have re-read my post as I did not say that very well. I DO NOT sell the ones I store. I prepare those in a jar a few days ahead of selling them and they are refrigerated. I have read a lot about this and there are several schools of thought on storing in oil refrigerated. Should anyone feel they are not comfortable with lengthy refrigerated storage, they should do as they think best. For home use, add them to olive oil, a little red wine in a pint jar. You will use them long before you have had them past a week. I should add that the ones I sell are going to restaurants who use them very quickly. Sun Dried tomatoes are the "vegetable du jour" in recipes it seems and business is booming. I also should add that I primarily sell those in vacuum bags as Chefs would rather re-constitute them using their own recipes and/or oil/wine/herb ratios. I apologise for any confusion.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote