View Single Post
Old November 4, 2017   #14
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, everybody for the feedback. As I understand it's up to the US Dept. of Agriculture and Hawaii state regulatory folks---not the Post Office.

I had already Googled it, but I was hoping somebody had personal experience with it (and some of you all have.)

(There are tons of rules about shipping or simply transporting soil, animals, and vegetative materials. In my job, we imported some soil from Hawaii and it had to be autoclaved before we could bring it in. The last thing I need is to get hassled by "the man".)

This makes me wonder:

Quote:
All agricultural items, including plants, plant parts, non-domesticated animals, microorganism cultures, microbial products, arthropods and soil require inspection upon arrival in Hawaii. These items must be checked before the shipment can be released to insure they are free of pests or will not become pests themselves. The Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA) has placed a priority on inspections for snakes, red imported fire ants and other pests and plant diseases that are not established in Hawaii.
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/import-program/

I'll just make this call and see what they say:

Quote:
If you have questions regarding the import status of any plant or animal, please contact the Plant Quarantine Branch at (808) 832-0566.
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote