View Single Post
Old October 19, 2016   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

I bought seed from Baker Creek, and was very impressed, especially as it was neglected so badly this year. It is a bush type but it is a HUGE bush, taller than my hip area at the highest point and I am 5'6". It took about a good 6 ft across circle, was in good amended soil at the community garden. Produced well without fertilizer and erratic watering in some really high temps, too. Was good as a summer squash even when pretty big, up to 10 inches long, though the rind was a bit firm but very edible at that point. The plants made me get itchy after digging in there, but then I tend to wear shorts and tanks so it's my fault.

I have always loved the old fashioned really warty yellow crooknecks and this is now a favorite too. Wonderful flavor, no bitterness or chalky taste at any size that I used it at. I let a couple mature for seed for next year.

No diseases or bug problems were observed on it, though I got whitefly/squash wilt with the deformed leaves on another squash close by.

I would half ways joke that if I went missing, check the squash patch, the plants were that large and huge leaves.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote