View Single Post
Old May 8, 2018   #42
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

May 1st - May 5th
After work today, I stopped at moms and redone her flower beds, laid down cardboard and mulched. (She wanted the Mulch from Lowes so this don't go against my new strategy, lol.)

I planted some Alfalfa seed and Sunflower Seeds in with the Oats and some white clover in some bald spots in the lawn, we will see!

As the dogs kill the grass I'll be putting in White Clover.

Replanted a cape gooseberry in the Koi Pond Patio Hugelkultur bed and in the larger planter in front of the house. Replaced a Box Car Willie that looked near death, and replaced a Black Beauty Eggplant seedling with a Listada Di Gandia Eggplant seedling. Planted out all my parsley and a few Marigold seedlings.

Tossed an Imperial Star Artichoke in the back area of the pond, the "Tickled Pink Perennial" that I planted last year at Easter died.

May 5th - May 6thI got a few small things done this weekend;
  • Saturday morning I got a little more work done on the Koi Pond Hugelkultur bed, this is mostly for Aesthetics, I didn't want a plain simple box out front so I tweaked it a bit.

• We stopped at Lecks Nursery and Feeney's Nursery and picked up our flowers. I usually get my pond plants from Feeney's but the plants were horrible. My better half and I got the flowers in, we always get the bright red sunpatients, they really pop.

• The Spaghetti squash has made an appearance

Laura was talking to our neighbor and she was saying that they were gonna hire someone to remove her shrubs, I said you go back over there and tell her well take care of it!!

• This of course meant...

Sunday

• Planted some Swiss Chard.

• Tied in the front planters and the planter on the deck to the irrigation line.

• I put a valve on every line to give me better control of the watering.

• My other project I am working on is trying to restore my yard, half the yard is planted with oats, clover and sunflowers, the other half has been seeded with white clover. Once the dogs kill a spot, I drop down some compost, seed with clover then top with compost.

• This week is cleanup week, I'm just trying to get everything back to normal, I decided to remove the small vertical garden.

• Cleaned the Koi pond a bit, when we start getting some really hot days, I'll get in the pond and really do a thorough cleanup.

• Plants are coming in nicely. Spearmint

• Chives

• Looks like its time for another chive omelet, pic was from 2016

• Sage, Phlox, Horseradish, and Chocolate mint . The sage died back completely this year but last year it held onto its leaves all winter, very odd.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote