View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013   #8
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

LOL Carolyn, you are definitely one of the volunteers. In fact, I am planning to send most tomato varieties to you first. I copied and pasted that list from one of the documents I have had and I think I created another list which I cannot find right now . Hopefully, I haven't forgotten to add other names but I am updating the list now. I think I will also add Craig to the list because I know that he is growing Turkish varieties for you (please correct me if I am wrong).

I am currently offering Ludmilla's Red Plum (very limited quantity since %90 of my grow-outs are Turkish varieties right now) but the three varieties you mentioned definitely qualify.

As I mentioned you before, I am growing a yellow Georgian variety right now. Also, a friend (a math professor from Turkey) sent me an Afghani variety of which seeds were given to him by one of his students in Turkey. I am very excited about this one.
Plus, I have finally obtained seeds for Bulgarian from Cerkezkoy (Çerkezköy'lü Bulgar). This is the first heirloom tomato from Turkey for which I have found out a relatively more detailed story. It was grown by Ms. Hafize Balic from Cerkezkoy district of Istanbul for over 60 years until her death. Originally a pink variety from Bulgaria.

Also, you are right about starting the venture being a huge step or should I say a tall psychological barrier? I am glad that I have passed that level because it wasn't easy for me. I wouldn't be able to do it without my wife's support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
So glad to see you taking this huge step forward Chance.

How do you define a volunteer? I looked at your list and didn't find my name yet I'm growing three tomato varieties from Turkey.

Second, I do have a few Macedonian ones, if they qualify. Mala Bishka and Zleovo and Dragoevo, that come to mind ASAP. Also, all the Ludmilla ones came from Kazachstan as brought to Germany where Reindhard Kraft was given seeds; I have seeds for all three. And I can go through my seed stash when I have time to see what else might qualify.

I know it's too late to send seeds to you now with you being in FL but if interested I could at least get them to you for next year, and yes, I have your address.

Carolyn, who says getting her own seeds out to the folks who do seed production for her, getting her tax stuff together and watching some great tennis take priority.

Last edited by chancethegardener; March 28, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote