View Single Post
Old May 14, 2018   #568
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
What issues have you had with baskets? Just curious b/c so far I've found them easy and all around a great addition. I'm only doing petunias and million bells.

My issue is selling them. I hate to say its the "Customer Base", because that sounds like im trying to make up an excuse. But the evidence points to the customers. My potted flowers and veggie seedlings are going far far better then expected. They sale themselves. Customer look at the baskets, say how nice they are, and move on?

I have also noted that the 1 other vendor who is roughly diagonally from me, doesnt seem to sale them well either. There could be a couple more vendors that have baskets, but I havent really noticed.

Where my booth is located is 1 spot down from an exit point. Very rarely do I see folks carrying out baskets. Grant it, its a very busy Market, and I stay busy.... but I also watch the surroundings. Like a Hawk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
once people know you have nice baskets at reasonable prices they will look for them. trust me. don't give up on them just yet unless transporting them is the issue. I try to sell mine mostly from home but I have one and only one market that I take oodles of them to and get rid of. I grow about 350 + baskets. I had one customer who came for 20 baskets all red and white .... before mothers day" because there aren't enough to choose from after mothers day" I just smiled.

I cant say I have given up, but maybe looking for another strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Thanks for all the kind words, as usual.

Short Stuff is my best zinnia. I like it better than zinnita. My best sunflower varieties have been sunny smile, little smile, and tinies. As far as timing, I dont keep records. They grow when the sun shines and it doesnt get too cold at night. Otherwise the best they do is tread water.

I have not yet mastered hanging baskets either. I think I would need a bigger truck or a trailer. There are a lot of very pretty ones at market that go for $15 to $20, so I would want something different than what other vendors sell.
Sunny Smiles and Sunny Days is what I have growing. They are great little sellers. Next year or later this year might try the Zinnita, as Im not super impressed with Thumbelina.

I have a cargo trailer that I am considering using. Would need to put shelving and such in it.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote