View Single Post
Old July 4, 2012   #35
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
RayR - love this experiment and your results. Have you got any theories yet on why the DE works so much better for toms, peppers & onions as a seed-starting mix? And how are these plants doing thus far, assuming you've got them outside? Have you experimented with mixing the DE in with your potting mix?
I don't have all the answers but I don't think there is a lot of mystery here either. Starting seeds this way is a form of hydroponics and that is where some of the answers may be found.

1.) The DE is made of irregular shaped particles so there is no compaction which allows more oxygen getting to the young roots and the roots have an easier time growing between the light weight particles.

2.) DE is very porous so the wicking action from bottom watering keeps water and nutrients moving upward to the roots.

3.) DE has a pretty ideal Cation Exchange Capacity, so it is able to retain nutrients and provide them to the plants when needed.

4.) DE is made of mostly insoluble silica, but has small amounts of soluble silica which is a micronutrient.

Levent has been doing this for a lot longer than I have, so maybe he has something to add.

The plants that I kept are doing just fine out in the garden.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote