View Single Post
Old November 29, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Easy Flower Beds

There's an oak tree about 25' away from the window I sit beside while at the computer. I've looked at it countless times thinking, "I need to do something to make it look better." Not that it was ugly, but there were a few briars growing near it that I would mow.

I didn't take any before pictures, so I took a picture of a tree that looks basically the same (First picture).

I dug out the briar roots and dug a trench around the tree a few inches deep. The soil there is heavy clay. Luckily, it rained yesterday morning and there were no shallow roots to dig around. Then I placed stones around the perimeter and filled the trench with sandy loam, mulched oak leaves, and 10-10-10.

The easy part is where the stones come into play. Being there is no concrete or mortar involved - you can change the shape of the flower bed however you like. I chose an oval/roundish shape to match the tree.

I like the natural look of stone, but you could use brick, pavers, wood, whatever you like. It's just an easy flower bed. Those are second year onions planted in it. Sometime next year, I'll plant some shade loving perennials in that bed. After I post this, I'll go take some pictures of shade loving plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0043.JPG (96.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0044.JPG (78.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0045.JPG (89.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0046.JPG (91.7 KB, 82 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote