Thread: Figs
View Single Post
Old October 27, 2018   #94
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

All I know is what he told me about the tree. About 25 years ago he was working at a sheet metal fab shop in Lafayette La and an old guy came in asking for sheet metal to plug holes in his barn and my uncle gave him a bunch of scraps. A few days later the old guy came back and brought him the tree for the metal. He said he breed the tree in Lafayette. He's never seen the guy again.

Yes that small tree is a clone, I grew it through winter in the greenhouse and planted it in Spring. One thing I noticed about transplanting fig trees is they grow fast if I use dried kelp in the planting hole. I used Maxi-Crop kelp meal.

I was on Fig4Fun a while before it got taken down. I know Gene from Houma from another site. I also bought cutting from Tohomaguy2 on ourfigs. I can't remember what he sent and the tags have worn off. I know it was Black Mission, Desert King and 3 others. Maybe I'll shoot him an email and see if he remembers.

I'm up for a trade, I took cuttings yesterday from his tree. If possible I'd like to find a dark fig with a closed eye when ripe. We always have rains right at harvest time and Celeste isn't great at that.