View Single Post
Old August 12, 2012   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Earliana

Jennifer, there were many versions of Earliana and Tania lists a few but there are more. After it was first introduced it became very popular and different seed companies changed the name and offered it under another name. That was done back then to suggest that a company had an exclusive.

I grew it years ago and never since and in the 2012 SSE YEarbook there is only one listing for it. And I should add that Tania indicated that the variety Alice Roosevelt was also probably Ealiana and to that one I'll add King George as well, and I got both of those from the USGRIN when it was still possible to do so. And no real difference between either of them and Earliana that I could detect.

I can give you more history if you want me to from some research/data paers I still have. But I'm not sure what it is you really want to know.

I just looked at Mike's Victory Seed site and he doesn't indicate any specific version of Earliana, but the same question could be asked of the other seed sources that Tania lists as well. If he got it from the USDA there would be an acession number. but I don't see one.

I love old seed catalogs but am not an e-bay buyer of same and never will be. But Craig shows several at his blog, I think, as does Mike himself, I think, and in the Legacy Forum I think, getting repetitive here, that there were several links to sites which displayed old seed catalogs.

Actually Craig L sent me 4 or 5 old ones for a birthday gift one year and I also had some old Burpee ones that I got from an elderly neigbor many years ago when I was still in HS, so you know how long ago that was..