View Single Post
Old May 18, 2018   #182
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Yes, three replies in-a-row. This one isn't quoting anyone. I looked at the 5 gallon buckets today while watering - In a post earlier, I jokingly wrote about them being Texas sized beer cups, but in a way, that's what they are. Bottom watering could be possible. It's probably how Earth Boxes work? (I've never seen one in real life.) If so, that would give me more confidence of keeping out the soil borne diseases, and it would be much easier to water. Something like the picture on the left?

Your thoughts?

Im testing something like this with 5 gallon buckets this year. Im doing a couple of them with dwarf tomato plants, and a couple with cherry peppers. Each planter is 2 stacked buckets. The top bucket holds the potting mix and has drain holes, a filler tube, and a wick at the bottom. It sits inside the bottom bucket which just has a few overflow holes drilled in the side just below the bottom of the upper bucket. Ill post a picture when i get home if i remember. You can find other designs by googling sub irrigated planter or sip bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote